|Photo credit: Tachyondecay on Flickr|
So today's blog post is all about helping people from the comfort of your own home. Luckily, with technology where it is right now, this is easier than ever to do. Here are simple ways that you can help nonprofits all over the world from your comfy couch.
- Like and follow. When you're a fan of a nonprofit's page on Facebook, you sometimes see that page's updates in your Newsfeed. And your friends see your new like. This simple one-click support style engages you and spreads the word faster than you know. (And the same goes for Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+... all social media!) Take your appreciation a step further by liking and commenting on their status updates. Not only do your friends see your support, but Facebook's logarithms give that update a boost to show up on more fans' Newsfeeds!
- Use GoodSearch. This nifty search engine (powered by Yahoo) donates one cent to the nonprofit of your choice every time you use it to search the web. This may not seem like much, but thanks to our GoodSearchers, Volunteer Expeditions has raised over $20 in just a few months!
- Research local volunteer opportunities. By using sites like VolunteerMatch and Create The Good, finding new places to volunteer is easy. Use this research to inspire yourself to go out and volunteer when you have the energy (or to tell your friends about it for their volunteering)!
- Write a review. If you had a good experience volunteering for or working with a nonprofit, tell the world! This truly helps the nonprofit. You give them future volunteers through your visible word-of-mouth. Use a site like GreatNonprofits, or send them a direct email with your review and your permission for them to use it anywhere they need.
- Shop smart. Before you make a purchase at Amazon.com or almost any other major online retailer, first go through Give Back America or GoodShop. Just by using these sites first, a percentage of your purchase price is donated to the cause of your choice. (Yes, the links we provide above will support Volunteer Expeditions - if you'd rather support a different charity, you can change it with no problem.)
- Volunteer online. If you have skills that involve a computer, it's a sure bet that a nonprofit could use your help. Set up an account on Sparked and microvolunteer to help nonprofits in graphic design, writing press releases, researching, blogging, and more.
- And finally, donate. It doesn't have to be a big contribution for it to help change the world.